So, today, Mate left Fiji and headed for New Zealand. Today, our friend, Rhonda had a big interview. So, we had Rhonda and her husband, Chuck, over for dinner from New Zealand. I have not done my research yet, so I cannot tell you about New Zealand. But, I have until March 12th to do that. I made three things tonight and all were ranked 5 out of 5.
Roasted Rack of Lamb - 5 out of 5, serves 5, 21 WW Points each (we think this may be wrong!)
*Please note our Lamb Rack is a product of New Zealand..no wonder it was $18!*
1/2 cup bread crumbs, 2 tbsp minced garlic, 2 tbsp rosemary, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 2 tbsp olive oil, 7 bone rack of lamb, salt and pepper, 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 450.
- In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs, garlic, rosemary, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Season rack all over with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large, oven-proof skillet over high heat. Sear rack of lamb for 1 - 2 minutes on each side. Set aside for a few minutes. Brush rack of lamb with mustard. Roll in bread crumb mixture until evenly coated. Cover the ends of the bones with foil to prevent charring.
- Arrange rack bone side down in the skillet. Roast for 15 minutes.
Kumara and Corn Fritters - 5 out of 5, serves 4, 5 WW Points each
1 can creamed corn, 2 tbsp chives, 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup milk, 1 egg (separated), 1/2 cup cooked kumara (that's New Zealand for sweet potato) (roughly mashed), 3 tbsp butter
- Mix corn, chives, flour, milk and egg yolk in a bowl.
- Beat egg white until stiff (Bob had to show me how to do this...we used my butt whisk) and mix in sweet potato.
- Mix sweet potato mixture with corn mixture.
- Melt butter in a pan and add mixture by the small spoonfuls. Cook until golden on both sides. (You have to be patient...this was hard for me!)
Pea, Feta and Mint Salad with Pistachios - 5 out of 5, serves 4, 7 WW Points each
1 cup peas, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 white onion chopped, 1 tbsp dijon mustard, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1 tbsp honey, salt and pepper, 1/3 cup shelled pistachios, 1/4 cup fresh mint leaf, 100 g feta
- Blanch peas in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and refresh in cold water.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a skillet and saute the onion.
- Put mustard, vinegar and honey in a bowl. Whisk in remaining oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold in onions, peas and pistachios into the dressing.
- Add mint and feta. Toss and serve.
We will be in New Zealand again on Monday night for the Bachelor Party. I will have my facts by then so you will know what this country is all about. I hope you can join us again then!