Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Singapore Night = Another Trip to the Chinese Grocery Store!

Heehee!! Mate was in Singapore April 11 - 15. I had to act fast since we had two birthdays during that time and neither of them chose Singapore food for their birthday dinner! We made this dinner for our good friends, Chuck and Rhonda. I brought all of my ingredients to their house and cooked. And, after I cooked my all 5 ranking meal, I managed to win a game of Corn Hole. Sweet!


For the first course, I served Orange-Carrot Soup. This got a 5 out of 5 and was pretty yummy.

2 tbsp peanut oil, 1 lb carrots - chopped, 3/4 cup chopped leeks - white part only, 1 tbsp ginger, 3 cups broth, 1 1/2 cup orange juice, salt

- Heat the oil. Saute carrots, leeks and ginger. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
- Puree the solids. Return the pureed mix to the pan and stir in the orange juice. Season with salt.
- Recipe says to serve chilled, but we prefer hot soup, so I served warm.

For our salad, we had Singapore Cucumber Salad. While this was not my favorite, it was given a 5 out of 5 from the group.

1 cucumber - thinly sliced, 1 bell pepper - thinly sliced, 1/2 cup chopped red onion, 1 navel orange - cut into small pieces, 1 tbsp soy sauce (again, I use Bragg's), 2 tbsp cooking sherry, 1 tbsp rice vinegar, 1 tsp sriracha (this is the Asian hot sauce they have on the tables at Asiana. It's red and has green Chinese animals on the bottle. They sell this at Kim's Chinese grocery store.), 2 tsp sesame seeds

- Mix all ingredients well.
- Keep in fridge, but allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.


Main course - Singapore Five Spice Stir Fry. YUMMY!! I just finished my leftovers yesterday and I am sad I do not have any more. I served this over spaghetti.


For the sauce - 1/2 cup orange juice, 1 tbsp cornstarch, 3/4 tsp Chinese 5 Spice Powder (can be found at Kim's), 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (you know I use more!), 2 tbsp soy sauce (or Bragg's), 1 packet Splenda


For the stir fry - 1 cup baby carrots - chopped, 1 onion - chopped, 2 garlic cloves, broccoli (I use lots...it's my favorite!), chicken or tofu (I did batch of each)


- Cook the pasta.
- Combine all sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Saute vegetables and chicken or tofu.
- Add sauce and cook until thickened.
- Add noodles and stir until well mixed.
*I marinated both the chicken and tofu overnight in another batch of sauce. Not sure if this is why it tasted so yummy, but I thought it couldn't hurt! *

And, for dessert...Banana Fritters! Mate loves bananas, but I am not sure if she would like these. She is just so dang picky! These got a 5 out of 5 and were nibbled as they were coming out of the pan. My lovely assistant, Rhonda, did the sprinkling of cinnamon and sugar.


4 eggs, 12 tbsp flour, 4 bananas, oil for frying (this has to be good for you!), cinnamon, powdered sugar


- Slightly beat eggs with flour and 1/2 cup water.
- Mash bananas with a fork (this part made me feel like a little kid) and mix with the egg mixture.
- Drop by the spoonfuls into the heated oil and fry until golden brown on each side.
- Drain on a towel.
- Dust with cinnamon and sugar. Enjoy!


And, then, Mate and Shawn hopped on the Orient Express. I was so excited about this meal. Check back later for my post on that one. You will not want to miss it!

1 comment:

  1. oh mate...i think i would like your soup. i know...you are shocked!

    ReplyDelete